View Full Version : Bow Suggestions
12-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Ian wants to start archery for deer this fall. Since this is reported to be a good time to get bows on sale, I am looking around for a good bow for him (and me). I have looked at the Matthews (very pricey) and the Alpine (more reasonable, but nobody I know has one). I would like some feedback from people don't have a financial bias (sponsorship, etc.) as to what I should be looking at and how much I need to spend to get a good set of equipment that I won't have to upgrade soon and will last a long time and works well. Thanks in advance.
12-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I just purchased a Jennings CK-3.4 this fall and i love it. i have had no problems with it it whatsover. It is more of a mid range bow. For just getting into it i would recomend either low end or mid range because if you end up likeing the sport eventually you are gonna want to upgrade and or customize to your preferences. so your probably better off not getting the high priced bow just yet until you know exactly what you want....just my 2 cents....i also really like the new bow tech line. my cousin just got the bow tech old glory this fall. it's faster than anything we've ever shot and hits with alot of power. never saw the target rock that hard before from the shot of a bow. little bit higher priced but very nice bow. i'm sure everyone has there own opinion just like fly rods but the truth is...with the technology these days with a mid priced bow and a little practice your gonna be deadly. just have to put yourself in the right spot at the right time.
12-31-2006, 08:53 AM
I had a Alpine Bow years ago. Great bow, wasn't very exspensive either. It shot great, and I took alot of deer with it. Now I own a Reflex. This is a nice little bow for me (looking at getting a new bow myself). I have had this bow for about 9yrs. The only thing that I have had to replace, of course, was the string. I keep everything in good working order, by taking it to the bow shop at least once a year. This (at the time) was not a very exspensive bow at just over $200 at Dunhams in Midland.
Make sure that you look around and check out other bow man. before settling on one certain bow. There are many out there that will get the job done, and you won't have to break the bank when buying them. You don't need no $800 bow to kill a deer. Get a good bow, set it up right (arrows, broadheads, sight, release/no release etc etc) and you can have a fast, smooth, deer slayin bow.
01-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Best advice is to go out try as many bows as possible, based on how the bow feels to you and in your hands. I know it's hard to do but don't look at name brand or price (stay in your budget though).
I previously shot Mathews because thats what everyone said to get. Mathews are awesome bows with amazing customer service.
That being said when I was up for a new Bow last year. I did all the research, and the pro's say to shoot them. Best advice ever!! So I went for a a couple months and narrowed it down to a Bowtech and a Mathews. I ended up with the Bowtech because it just fit in my hand nicer than the Mathews. I am still a little uneasy about the Bowtech's customer service because I haven't had any experience with them yet (hopefully I won't have to). I knew with my Mathews any problem was immediately taken care of no questions asked. Theres something to be said about that.
That being said both of those are high end bows, $800.00 dollar range, bare bones.
Bows nowadays are so advanced you can get a really nice bow for around $400. I think what you pay for in the high end compared to a mid range is "no vibration" vs. "a little vibration", "dead quiet" vs. "very quiet", etc... You get my point. My Uncle shoots a Buckmasters and it is a awesome bow for under $400. I've also heard great things about the new Diamond and Fred Bears for that price.
One more thing which is probably the most important. It doesn't matter what you buy if the bow isn't tuned properly, it isn't ever going to shoot to its potential and you will be frusrated. If you buy one from a Big box store, which is fine, take it somewhere you trust to tune it. The guys there may sound like they know what there doing, but most just don't have the experience. A common mistake people have when they buy a bow is the draw length is way to long for them. Bring your release with you when testing bows, makes a big difference.
I shot a badly tuned bow for my first couple years and finally met up with a guy who does everything himself. He helped me set it up correctly and I could have sworn I had a brand new bow. You can't imagine what an 1/8th of inch in nock adjustment can do.
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Scotty is right about trying as many bows as possible. PSE makes some good bows in the $200-300 range. I shot a PSE for several years and never had any problems. I recently upgraded to a Diamond which basically a Bowtech just alot cheaper in price. Good luck shopping.
01-08-2007, 04:51 PM
You don't mention if you hunt already. I checked your posts and threads and don't see anthing about hunting so I am going to assume you currently don't.
Sounds crazy but I wouldn't get a bow, I would buy a quality climber.
95 percent of the time your in a tree you won't need your bow.
When a deer is coming in and your taking your shot is the easy part to enjoy. The question is will you enjoy just sitting in a tree watching the woods. Bow hunting is also about limited range, and that is not everybody's cup of tea.
Chances are if you don't enjoy the 95 percent (just sitting), you most likly will not get a chance at the 5 percent (shooting)
Check now for a quality stand on sale. Spend your first season hunting from your stand with a camera. If it's not for you, you will get a MUCH higher return, money wise on a used stand, then a used Bow.
Best of Luck:)
01-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Alpine bows are a very good bow for the money. Theyre arent very many people who use them, but the people I know who do love them. Reflex which is made by Hoyt are also great bows for a decent price. Hoyt makes a couple great bows, I personally shoot a Hoyt Vipertech and love it. I got a great deal on mine. It was a bow that was one year old but new so it was cheaper. I also shot a Matthews. Im not into paying alot for a bow although I know Hoyt's are not exactly cheap. I shot a PSE and they also have a couple of bows that easily in the 200 - 400 dollar range that are awesome bows. Shoot them and get the best feeling bow to you. I shot that Matthews and couldnt see paying another 120 dollars for a bow that was just as smooth as the Hoyt I now own. Good Luck.
01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree with the other's who say to go out and try buy. During High School I worked in the local archery shop in Edmore. Everyone in the shop got their choice of bow to use and everyone tried them all then picked out a different one. There is no "One" bow that is better than the rest. Shoot Straight!
01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I've test shot a lot of different bows in the past few years, after trying the matthews, hoyt, and bowtech i decided i wanted to go with the bowtech, it is by far the fastest, straites shooting bow, not to mention the amazing letoff, and the smooth draw, the binary cams on the bow techs are awesome, if i didnt buy the bowtech i woulda bought the HOyt Trykon, another great bow! there was something i didnt like about the Matthews that i just couldnt pin down what it was, Now with bowtech putting out a new bow that shoots 345 fps it will move archery to the next level. But like said before, make sure you do what i did, test shoot all the bows you're interested in and make sure you pic the one that fits you good and you're comfy with, if you do this then the $$ amount you pay wont matter cuz you'll have a bow you'll keep for awhile. GOod luck! Choosing a new bow is a balL! and killing deer with the new bow is the best! I killed my first 2 deer with my new 2006 bowtech 2 biggest bucks i ever killed opening morning of bow season! GOod luck
Kyle van dyke
01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Darton makes some pretty nice bows and they are made here in Michigan. Every little bit put into our economy helps. I really think all the big bow companies produce quality bows, hard to go wrong with any of them. Personally I own a Darton Magnum and love it. I also feel good about supporting a company located near my home.
Whatever you do end up with just do your homework and take the time to shoot some different bows. Bowhunting is a great sport. Good luck.
I have an Alpine and love it. It's the fast trac x-treme and I think I bought it in 2002. It is fast and accurate. A little louder than some of the more expensive bows, but it's never been a problem for me when hunting. It's fast enough at 30 yards to offset the noise.
02-01-2007, 09:20 AM
thanks for the suggesting and advice i purchased a cp onieda eagle 2 from of freind of my fathers and it shoots great (from what i can tell) and thought we didnt menchen it in the first post i have hunted before and participate in firearm and black powder season and harvested a button buck and a doe this year the bow was not intended to get into hunting for the first time but to extend my hunting season and get a crack at some of the bucks before they go nocternal.
vBulletin® v3.5.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.